Should I Keep Calm and Carry On?

Most of my readers have already seen my article about The Trials of Freelance Work that I wrote last week.  I even updated everyone a few days later to let you know that I still have not received my check from Myspace, a reply email, a call or anything else at that point.

I am “friends” with many others that also do freelance work and I have worked with them at many different companies, including Myspace.  Not all of them agree that writing the articles I did are worth the possibility of burning bridges with these companies.  I do not feel that what I wrote was wrong.  I wrote the facts.  I did not bash them, I wrote about the issues I was having and the lack of their communication.  It was past the time frame in our contracts, some people were paid, some where not.  It isn’t fair and I don’t believe sitting back and just waiting it out is always the right thing to do.  That makes it seem like it is okay to treat freelancers this way, which it is not.

I have worked for several different companies while freelancing, and some treated us very badly.  While I enjoy working from home, I refuse to be treated badly.  If you can’t pay me, don’t ask me to do the work.  If I am treated badly, you are now black listed.  I will not ever work for you again.  It’s just that simple.  As a freelancer, I can decide who I work for, and I will not work for anyone who runs a business in this manner.

This past weekend, a good friend of mine, who happens to be a blogger as well, was in a bad situation.  She went on a vacation with her kids and her van broke down while she was 4 hours from home.  She didn’t have the money to fix it and wasn’t sure what she was going to do.  They were only supposed to be there overnight and the part to fix her van wouldn’t be in for a few days due to the weekend.  The bloggers group we are a part of banned together to help her out.  Everyone who was able to, sent money via Paypal to help her and her family get their van fixed and back home.  It was amazing to see everyone work together to help out someone in need.  THIS is the type of group I want to be a part of.

I have decided that I no longer want to be a part of that group of internet start ups and companies that work you every day and then treat you like you don’t matter.  I want to be a part of the bloggers who put their heart and sole into their sites.  They work every day to build their reader-base and they care about what they are doing.  They care about others that are in need.  I will not just Keep Calm and Carry On to keep a “job” where no one treats me right.  I will not just sit back and allow my family to be put into a bad situation because a company takes twice as long as it should to send my pay.  My family means more to me than that.  I mean more to me than that.  I don’t care if I burned bridges with Myspace, I wouldn’t ever work for them again…and if the people in charge go somewhere else, I wouldn’t work for them at the next company either.

While there are some great people out there, many are not.  I’ve worked with Sean Percival at several different companies, and I appreciate one thing he has always done…..respect the freelancers.  We had a conversation once where he told me knows that freelance workers live and die by the checks and if they are late it really effects us.  That took my respect for him to a whole new level.  I was happy to learn he was the VP at Myspace when I began to work with them.  The day we were told Myspace was bought by Specific Media and Justin Timberlake, we were also told that Sean would no longer be with Myspace.  I knew it was all downhill from there, and I was right!

I am happy to announce that after re-sending my invoices over the weekend and demanding an update from Myspace as to the status of my check, I actually did receive a reply!  They let me know that paychecks for June were sent out Friday and invoices for July were being processed.  I had my daughter check our mail and guess what I found?!!?

Yep, that’s right, my check came in!  Yay!  Finally!  Now, how long do you think I’ll need to wait until my July check comes in?  I mean they say it’s being processed, but they told us that weeks ago with our June pay.  I guess I will have to wait and see.  In the mean time, I am not seeking another freelance job, I will continue to work from home, but I’m looking into different avenues and if all else fails, I can always get a “real” job, but we’ll see about that.

Comments

1. Mary Brock says

I am sorry to hear about all the frustration, but I sincerely appreciated your post. I am new to following you and so far I have been impressed. No, no one should treat anyone the way you (and countless others) are or have been treated. For what it is worth coming from someone you don’t know from Adam’s house cat, I am proud of you. Too many people allow themselves to be taken and it is refreshing to see someone ethically take a stand. Good for you!

Thank you very much Mary! I appreciate that feedback. It’s tough to deal with at times, but I know I do not deserve to be treated that way. If I do the work I should be paid. If you push me off to the side and act as if I don’t matter, I don’t need to work for you. :)

2. Bunny says

I totally agree about Sean Percival. Stand up guy to work with who understands the needs of freelancers.

Though, even if most freelancers do live paycheck to paycheck, it shouldn’t matter. We did the work under the premise of getting paid in a timely manner. I don’t care if I have a million in the bank – if I did the work, I want the money due to me.

I’m sorry you are going through this again. I hope the experiences you’ve gained as a freelancer help you make better decisions moving forward, and help those wanting to freelance have a better understanding of some of the challenges we face.

Hi there! I’m so sorry to hear that! To tell you the truth I dont know what freelance is.. but now i know! I have been looking for a job for long time and no luck at all! So I just started working from home with this “bloggy thingy” and with my own little business at home on Etsy. Its not paying the bills but I’m thankful my hubby has a stable job. I really wish you the best for you and your family!

Your bloggy friend,
    Angie

First, yay, I’m so glad you finally got your check! Second, I agree with everything you said. As a freelance writer, I’ve worked for companies that treat us like the dirt under their shoes, and I’ve worked for some that are awesome. i walk away from the former because I just can’t handle that kind of stress. I’d rather get smaller per-article rates and work with someone awesome than larger amounts at companies that require xanax just to get through a day with them. I really want to get to a point where I’m making a decent living off my blog and a few select projects that I actually enjoy so I can actually focus on writing more for myself, like that fiction novel I’ve been trying to write for nearly two decades.

5. Kealey B says

If you wouldn’t have complained you would have been waiting in limbo even longer. Good for you when you work you deserve to get paid it’s that simple. It seems like others work for a steady paycheck and they don’t understand. You have bills to pay too.

Thank you Kealey! I will stand up for myself and what I believe is right. Who knows, what I said may not have had any effect on the outcome of me getting my check, but I let people know the struggles of being freelance. :) Now I wait for my last check from them….pay for July…let’s see if I get it before September. :/

So glad to hear paychecks are finally coming your way. The challenges of freelancing is one reason I have not actively pursued it. Only so many hours in my day and I don’t want to be working for someone who isn’t upholding their end of things.

I’m so glad to hear you received your check. Hopefully the next one arrives according to schedule. I am also so happy to be a part of a blogging group with people who really care about helping each other.

I am so glad you finally got your June pay…and am hoping your July pay comes soon. I agree that the people at Myspace got paid for their work-why shouldn’t you? Freelance doesn’t mean you work for free. Companies should start to realize that bloggers ban together in times of need..so watch out!

9. Libby's Library says

I keep on and eat chocolate – works for me.
    Glad you got paid, and hope it doesn’t take as long, for the next one.