While I was growing up, I was always embarrassed that my mom would shop at thrift stores. I didn’t understand why you would do that. Just go to the mall and buy something. Ha! Then I grew up and realized how much things actually cost. With a family of FIVE, I can’t afford to shop for everything at the mall…or even my local super center for that matter! It gets expensive when all three kids are growing so quickly or are really rough on their clothes. I had been to my favorite thrift store, Thrift Town, in a long time. While I was waiting the Motor Vehicle Division yesterday, I received an email that all clothing was 50% off. I think that means a trip into Albuquerque and across town is worth it, right?!
I picked up a total of 18 items for just $37.97 total. I got all the above pieces for myself. Everything is looks as if it came off the hanger at the mall, but the most I paid for anything is $3.99…including the jeans! Here is what I got:
- Blue sweater dress (Mudd)
- Jeans (Agaci Too)
- Sleeveless top with blue/tan flowers
- Sheer pink top with flowers (World Market)
- Black and White top that ties around the neck
- Top with abstract peach/blue/black designs
- Black tank with fabric flower on collar
- Brown belt (not pictured)
That’s a lot of stuff for myself….but I also got a bunch of stuff for the family! Check this out:
I didn’t find much for my husband or oldest, but the other two got a few things….
- Printed t-shirt
- Mario Bros. t-shirt
- Jeans for the little man (Old Navy)
- Jeans for the older son (Chaps)
- Yellow polo shirt for hubs (Merona)
- Jeans for my niece (Circo)
- Peace t-shirt for the daughter
- Green shirt for the daughter
- Purple shirt for the daughter
- Broncos shirt for the little man
- Blue warm up pants for the little man
So yeah, I got a lot of stuff. It’s amazing. I walked out with a HUGE bag filled…if I went to the mall, I would have gotten MAYBE two shirts for that price. I know I couldn’t get FOUR pairs of jeans plus all the shirts for that much.
Moral of the story is….you can get new or like-new clothing at thrift stores (if you’re local, try Thrift Town on Menaul). There is no reason to look down on people that do shop at these places….we are all trying to save a buck.
I found super cute winter coats that looked like they had never been worn for $3. None of them fit me and I was really bummed about that! You can’t always tell things come from the thrift store…..lots of items may have been purchased and never worn or were taken care of. Why not buy them for a fraction of the cost.
Do you shop at thrift stores and if so…………What’s the best thing you’ve gotten from a thrift store?